No, this isn’t a travel-related post, but this was our first solid weekend of sun (and work) on the
mud weed farm for 2013, and I wanted to document it.
Things are getting exciting now, as we are pushing to get ready for a house to finally arrive on the property (hopefully sometime this summer). We still have more projects planned than will fit on a legal pad, but nevertheless, it’s satisfying to see the place beginning to take shape. This weekend’s projects were:
- Clear off the home site (previously our main camp site) in preparation for surveys, meeting with contractors, planning and permitting, etc.
- Mow the grass. It’s that time of year when this has to be done pretty much every time we go out, or the weeds will rule the land.
- Get the RV hooked up and cleaned up from its end-of-winter hibernation so it’s habitable again
- Begin clearing the back quarter of the property, which until now has been impenetrably covered in twelve-foot-high blackberries, stinging nettles, thistles, and many, many fallen and cut trees partly sunk into the ground and entirely buried in weeds.
- Get all our tools in working order for the season.
While I tackled the first three, Dave and his trusty tractor made some incredible progress reclaiming what was pretty much the dumping ground for decades of tree-clearing projects. I didn’t get great “before” pictures (because I was weed-whacking so he could get to the massive fallen trees), but this first one was taken after only the first light layer of weeds and half of the first tree were pulled out.
What you see on the right are the trunks of two trees that grew together into one giant tree, and the stump of one which fell in 2009. Back then, we dragged the tree into the woods along with the dozens of others that already lay dead in the weeds. (The little holly tree in the background has grown up since then—we didn’t even know it was there until Saturday.) That’s also a giant boulder in the foreground.
While Dave got to work on the first few fallen trees, I started on the other side of this patch of woods with the brush cutter so we could see more of what we were dealing with.
The wood structure in the picture below was a test project Dave did to learn how to build decks. Sunday, Dave took that apart while I cleared off the rest of the camp site.
Then, while I mowed, Dave began to tackle the massive trees in earnest.
Next weekend, we’ll move the Airstream up by the shop, which will be the last thing that needs to move from the home site. Then, we’re ready to meet with contractors. Whew! Lots of progress for one weekend.